Health & Fitness
A balanced diet is nothing but a key to good health which
includes diet in right amount of all he essential nutrients like
vitamins, proteins, minerals, fats, carbohydrates etc. For
proper growth and development of a person, a healthy diet is
very essential. A healthy balanced diet helps to maintain and
improve general health. To develop healthy eating habits isn’t
as confusing and restrictive as people imagine.
Eating a wide variety of foods is the first principle of a
healthy diet. Secondly it involves consuming appropriate amounts
of all essential nutrients in right proportion and an adequate
amount of water. Fruits, vegetables, grains, nuts, food rich in
carbohydrates, proteins, minerals and vitamins are the
foundation of a healthy diet. To maintain a healthy diet, food
low in calories, fish, meat (lean), dairy products low in fat,
fish, poultry etc. should be taken.
An unhealthy diet increases the risk of a number of chronic
diseases like diabetes, high blood pressure (BP), abnormal blood
lipids, obesity, cardiovascular diseases, stroke and even
cancer. In order to lead a healthy life free of diseases one
need to follow certain tips which are stated as under:
1. Eating plenty of high fiber foods like fruits, vegetables,
nuts, legumes, low–fat dairy products and whole grain foods are
nutritious and at the same time low in calories.
2. Vegetables and fruits like carrots, broccoli, cantaloupe,
citrus fruits etc have antioxidants and various types of
nutrients. These foods help to protect against cancer and other
3. Highly processed fast food, high in solid fats and sugar
should be avoided.
4. Limit intake of animal fat as it is rich in saturated fat
which boosts blood cholesterol level and has adverse health
5. Sugary beverages like soda should be avoided. Water or
flavor-infused water can be taken as substitute.
6. For a healthy snack, choose fruit, nuts or low-fat yogurt.
7. Consumption of salt or sodium from all sources should be
limited and also ensure that salt is iodized.
8. Regular exercise should be part of the daily routine.
Useful Health Website: